Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Japanese Curry


In Portland, we lived next to a Japanese couple. I met the wife in the elevator once and she told me she was looking for a conversation partner for her English class. I told her I was looking for a Japanese cooking instructor, so we struck a deal. She taught me a lot of other more complicated dishes, but this one is the one I remember best (probably because when she said she was going to teach me curry I was expecting something new and amazing, and then she pulled out this curry paste-the same I had been using since I got back from Hong Kong! Not new to me, but still amazing-and apparently very authentic.)
  • 2 potatoes
  • 2 carrots
  • one broccoli crown
  • one onion
  • garlic
  • one package of S&B Golden Curry (found in the Asian foods section of the grocery store)
You probably already have everything but the curry. Chop all the veggies into bite size pieces. Sautee the onions and garlic in some olive oil in a skillet for five minutes and then add the rest of the veggies with some water and boil them until tender. Then follow the instructions on the box about adding the sauce (just break up the sections of concentrate and add some water). It works with any vegetables you want, and meat. Serve it over brown rice. So, SO easy, and very yummy.

No comments: