Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sausage Pie with Cornbread Crust

Hello kindred cooks, an exciting thing I just learned is that despite my culinary inadequacy, I share a name with renowned chef Ferran Adria. Not only are we both named Adria, but we were also born on the SAME DAY! (of the year), May 14. One of our many differences is that he has been referred to as the worlds greatest chef. Anyway, this recipe was pretty good. I substituted Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage patties for sausage and it worked out satisfactorily. Cornbread is always a winner.
  • 1lb sausage (I used mashed up veggie sausage patties as I said before- I'll bet ground beef would also work)
  • 1 cup wheatberries cooked
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 bell pepper chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves chopped
  • 1 can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
Cornbread Topping: (The next time I make this casserole I will double the topping recipe.)
  • 2/3 cup cornmeal
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup milk or soymilk
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cook sausage, onion, pepper, mushrooms and garlic in a skillet 8 to 10 min. If using real meat, cook until done all the way through and then drain it.
  3. Add wheatberries, corn and tomatoes, 5 more minutes.
  4. Stir all topping ingredients in a bowl until blended.
  5. Spoon sausage mixture into a deep casserole, and spoon the topping over it evenly.
  6. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: